The Art of Creating Profitable Content
A well thought out content marketing strategy is imperative for your online success. The reason is that content marketing is the best way to drive high converting traffic to your site (if you implement it properly). I know this from experience…I write on a daily basis for a variety of audiences. The tools and insights below come directly from what I have learned along the way. I hope you find them helpful in your journey to success.
So, What Exactly is Content Marketing?
According to the Content Marketing Institute, content marketing is defined as:
I would like to call out the 3 most important words in the definition: Valuable, Relevant and Consistent. Your content must be about information that resonates with your niche. It’s also about you standing in your customer’s shoes and really understanding their needs and pain points.
Your content should solve a problem that your customer is having and do it in a consistent, constructive way. Content tends to build on itself, sort of like compounding effects. Make sure your content across time tells a relevant story. Each component can easily stand on its own, but the whole is greater than the parts for the long term view.
It’s the art of consistently communicating with your customer with a variety of value-added content that helps them. It draws them in and engages them with useful information. Ultimately they want to come back to your website over and over for more relevant information. Over time you will be rewarded when they purchase from you because you have developed the voice of authority over time.
There are 3 Main Questions You Need to Ask Yourself…
- How well have you defined your target audience/niche…Do you really understand what their burning issues are? Have you created a persona or customer journey map yet?
- Have you decided what kind of information would help them? In other words, what will help solve their problem?
- Have you determined what they will do with your content? What specific behavior do you want them to do each time they visit your site for new information?
Here are My Top 10 Rules of Thumb When Creating Content…
- Keep your paragraphs small…2-3 sentences…and put in some headers to separate your thoughts. It really helps your reader engage.
- Make a detailed outline of you content…it will be easier to write that way. I personally start backward and figure out the key takeaways I want my reader to get. That helps me build my outline from there.
- Write the way you would speak about the content…it’s makes it less formal and more human. Write with your own authentic voice and personality…it will resonate better with your audience.
- Always ask for comments at the end of the post or some type of call to action. Always determine in advance what that action should be and measure against it.
- Use relevant imagery towards the top of the page…Did you know that our brains process images 6,000 times faster than text?
- Lead with a very strong and compelling headline (Using one of your keywords in the heading)
- Use black or dark gray text on a white background for easier readability and a better customer experience,
- Your blog should be between 1,500 – 2,000 words…Google rewards longer posts that show authority. More importantly, your readers will trust you more due to your thoroughness and knowledge.
- Expand your reach and exposure by using social media to drive even more traffic, as well as embed a video where appropriate. Videos have an excellent effect on SEO.
- Use some internal links in your content to strengthen SEO. That means linking to other relevant posts on your site. For example, if you just wrote a blog about SEO, and your next one is about off page SEO, you should consider linking to that.
Some Other Helpful Tips When Creating Your Content…
- Anticipate your audience’s questions and already have them answered in your blog.
- Find ways to get your audience in a conversation with you…perhaps do an online poll or ask a reader to recommend something.
- Be consistent when you put out blog posts…plan and schedule them on your calendar a month out if possible. Try to publish 3x week if possible.
- Write something every single day so you get used to the process of writing 1,500 – 2000 words (you can write about anything). A free tool that has really helped me with my writing skills is 750Words…It’s made me a much better and more efficient writer.
- Incorporate A/B testing into your process so you can be in a continually improving mode.
- Mix up the type of compelling content you create; blog, infographic, podcasts, webinars, ebooks, videos, imagery, etc…
Impact on SEO and Rankings…
Think of it this way… great content drives traffic up and traffic leads to a higher website ranking. Your improved website ranking leads to conversions and sales. Blogging about topics relevant to you target audience is the best way to increase traffic. Google rewards value, quality, volume, and variety and that earns you a higher ranking.
Your blogs are a living and breathing documents that you put tremendous amounts of work on. Don’t let all that effort go to waste by not properly optimizing your keywords. This is imperative for your target audience to be able to find you.
You may have just written the most captivating content out there, but it doesn’t help your audience when you are on page 25. The best way to remedy that situation is through keyword optimization, as well as investigating pay-per-click strategies. We will do a deeper dive on this in another blog.
Please note that I will be following up this blog shortly with one dedicated entirely to marketing your content to maximize profitability. As always, Thanks for reading and please leave a comment for the good of the community!
Related Article: 7 Insights into Google Analytics Behavior Flow Reports